My Photo
Name:
Location: Trinity, North Carolina, United States

The time has come to once again venture to Kenya. I no longer live on Karanja Road but Ngong Road instead. However, I will not let that jeopardize the integrity of this site as I will maintain the same sort of content :>) Blessings!

Monday, February 26, 2007

The Road to Eldoret: Part 3

Sunday morning dawned upon Eldoret, finding us well rested and more prepared to take on the day that was before us. Eating a bit of leftover food from the night before and drinking perhaps a gallon of tea each, we set out for the church. Service began at 9:30, when we arrived, and we were met with more singing and rejoicing. Jackson had been called upon to lead the Sunday School portion and he did so, talking about forsaking fear and its effects. After he finished I suppose the regular service, as it was called, began. More singing came in which one of the ladies leading the procession began shaking violently. I am not certain what she was accomplishing but everyone seemed okay with it so I went along with things.

After a bit of singing the young children came in, singing songs that were distinctly Western. Their first selection was Soon and Very Soon We Are Going to See The King. I wondered if that was one they practiced because an English speaking fellow was coming to the church. Whatever the case, it was delightful to hear them all join in unison to sing a song that I have never before heard in Africa. Following them was more singing and more shaking and then the call for me to come and address the crowd.

Far more people had gathered than from the previous day as the number of fifteen had been left in the distance. With a packed room I began preaching on the imminent return of Jesus Christ and the need for urgency to complete His work among the church. I gave all I could, making sure my last time speaking with them was up to par. Jackson told me we would have the Sunday morning service and that was all. So I finished, ready for a bit of a break and maybe some time to see a bit more of Eldoret that I may know where I was.

The pastor stood and through a translator I understood lunch was coming and then we would reconvene for the last session. He said they would all be in anticipation until then to hear what I would close our time together with. Woops. I missed that somehow in the translation earlier or, in true African fashion, it just wasn’t mentioned. So we went to a lunch of more slaughtered chicken and I was thinking about what the Lord would have us talk about. In my mind a few things were bouncing around and I was getting more set to give it one more go.

When we came back after lunch the singing cranked back up and the shaking lady went into her antics once again. The people were getting more and more wound up and after about a half an hour I heard a great commotion behind me. Out of my periphery I saw this gal waving violently about and some ladies trying to get a hold of her. My immediate thought was that she was demon possessed, which would certainly change the course of the service as we would then need some sort of deliverance message. However, once again no one seemed to be worried so it appeared that her thrashing and tearing off through the chairs was also a scene of normalcy.

Rain had started its pitter patter outside and as we were winding down with worship it began gaining in strength. I was introduced once again, this time the PA system fighting with the loud clamor of the rain. By the time I stepped up front, the rain had turned into a roar upon the metal roof and it was all the one speaker could do to magnify my voice and the translators above its din. Nevertheless, I lit into preaching on the topic of spiritual armor and warfare in the kingdom.

No more than twenty minutes into the progression of speaking the power went out which means I lost both the light and the PA system. The black clouds did their job blocking out enough light that I couldn’t read the Bible in that dark hall and now it was me fighting with the rain’s yell. Fortunately the Lord birthed in me a rather loud mouth, which I was often chided over in my formative years. Moreover, He brought to my mind the remembrance of His Word so we were able to continue without skipping a beat. By 6:00 we finished our time there, having educated and exhorted the people as much as possible. The rain eventually surrendered and the power even came back on as we were leaving the church. The members were delightful and very kind in their regards and blessings.

Upon finishing we went back to Paris’ house for, you guessed it, more chai and some fellowship. Some opportunistic pastors cornered us in the house seeking money and several weeks of our time to spend in the area going to their churches. Unfortunately we had neither to give them and they left with seemingly frustrated looks on their faces. The entire time they were there, those three ducks that lived in the house were fighting under the couch. Occasionally one would bite me in the ankle whereby I would return his gesture with a kick in the head. I am still not sure if they were pets or being fattened up for a future meal. Either way they were not going to make it long if they continued their behavior.

The 9:00 hour rolled around and we boarded our bus, having one more cup of chai and bidding our new friends farewell. We had the same bus driver as we had on the way to Eldoret, who did not know the way nor how to avoid large potholes. However, by great fortune we had no drunk people harassing the passengers and we made it back in only seven hours. So, in less than 50 hours we had gone to Eldoret, held a revival and made it back to Nairobi in one piece. Heading back to our house at 4:30 in the morning a verse from 1 Peter 4:11 was coursing through my mind, “If anyone serves, he should do it with the strength God provides, so that in all things God may be praised through Jesus Christ.” I was overjoyed to be reminded we are doing the work of the Lord and with His energy, so I only play a small part in that equation. This was a good feeling to know that He did His work and I got to go along for the very quick but fulfilling ride!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home